American Voices Abroad Berlin adopted this mission statement in November 2003 as amended below. We, as U.S. citizens living abroad, share the following general objectives:
- To promote peace, to oppose wars of aggression by the United States, and to take action toward these ends in relation to U.S. policy.
- To promote economic and social justice in U.S. policy.
- To affirm the rights of all people to democratic self-determination and the right to resist injustice and tyranny.
- As a coalition, to maintain nonviolence in our tactics and direct actions.
- To raise awareness that a fully and accurately informed public is essential to the survival of democracy.
Our goals following from the above objectives are:
- To call for the repeal of the USA Patriot Act and of any other new legislation infringing upon inalienable rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.
- To reject the Bush administration national security strategy of Sept. 2002 which includes the doctrine of preemptive and preventive war.
- To oppose the occupation of Iraq and to work toward withdrawal of U.S. troops; to support viable self-determination for Iraq; and to demand multilateral measures to rebuild that country.
- To promote openness and transparency in the U.S. government.
- To insist upon free and fair elections in the United States.
- To encourage pluralism and diversity in US society, media, and political debate.
- To promote fair trade agreements which foster human development and general prosperity instead of the current system of maximizing exploitation.
- To promote recognition of the United Nations as the primary forum for international law.
- To demand and promote responsible and just US foreign policy with respect for international law.
- To promote resolution of international conflicts through an international justice system.
- To address US domestic economic justice issues and reorient budgetary priorities away from war.
- To develop a worldwide network of U.S. citizens living abroad to promote our objectives and support those in the United States and our countries of residence with whom we share goals.
- To promote dialogue between our countries of residence and the United States of America.